Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I miss Jerusalem and I haven't even left yet!

In 1967, Naomi Shemer wrote of Jerusalem...

As clear as wine, the wind is flying
Among the dreamy pines
As evening light is slowly dying
And a lonely bell still chimes,
So many songs, so many stories
The stony hills recall ...
Around her heart my city carries
A lonely ancient wall.


Yerushalaim all of gold
Yerushalaim, bronze and light
Within my heart I shall treasure
Your song and sight.


This past week here in Jerusalem, I was blessed to see, hear and feel all of what Ms. Shemer so beautifully wrote.

What really made the week special were the places that welcomed me, and where I spent most of my time.

The Moshavah Germanit (The German Colony) is a spectacular area to live. The cosmopolitan feel of a Eurpoean city blended with Chasidism and Observance; The Neighborhood Centre which boasts a grocery store, a gym, barber shop and many other businesses opens its arms to all, and the terrific staff at "Caffit" (www.caffit.co.il) makes you feel as if you have been a regular for years.

Moreshet Yisrael Masorti Synagogue and the Conservative Yeshivah are next to one another on Agron Street, a ten minute bus ride from the Moshavah. Rabbis Adam Frank and Shlomo Zachrow, as well as Rabbi Pesach Schindler will be very much missed by me, and I can't wait to get back there for more learning. Other students and Rabbanim alike became new old friends and if I were a betting man, I would absolutely wager that we will all stay great friends for many years to come. We have each, in our own way, touched the lives of the other. As it should be.

---------

King David ruled these lands right around 3,000 years ago. Much of his Citadel and gardens continue to exist today, where they are now a museum. It is said that from the top of this Citadel, David saw a girl bathing. Her name was BatSheva. With its magnificent towers and amazingly crafted gates, walls and rooftops, it is easy to understand why this City is often called The City of David.
----------

Parking in the Moshavah is interesting in its own right. Most parking places are not only private, but gated and can only be opened by either remote control, or by the towing company who will take your car away, should you try and park where you are not welcome. I understand from people with whom I have spoken, that the normal fine and towing fee exceeds NIS 800. To you and me, that's on the higher side of $200+.

----------

Tomorrow we move on to Tel Aviv. It will be nice to get back to the big city and the beach, but there is no place on earth quite as special as this place.

Whether you call it The City of David, Yerushalayim, Al Quds or Jerusalem, it is from here that I bid you goodnight as I end my first week in Israel.

Ahavah u'Vrachot...
With love and blessings...

--Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment